Custom Search

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cough, Cough



Reed has a really cruddy cough right now. I called the Peds and asked what we could do. Since no over-the-counter medicine is given to kids younger than 6 anymore, it makes it a little difficult.



Thankfully, we were able to make an appointment for Reed to go to the Dr. in the morning.



We have been giving Reed small doses of Robitussin for kids, which has helped his cough some. But, unlike his dad who gets completely zonked when he takes cough medicine of any sort, Reed gets completely wired and defiant!



His behavior has been a little troubling for me, because for some reason, I really have strong feelings about Reed needing to respect me. I think I am becoming my dad.



On of our struggles with discipline is the fact that Reed is extremely witty and knows exactly how cute he is. This afternoon at the park, after repeatedly taking his shoes off, we gave him the ultimatum that if the shoes came off again, we were leaving. It was all of 10 seconds later that his shoes came flying off. I picked him up and headed to the car.



On the way to the car, realizing that I meant business, Reed decided to sing a new and hilarious version of "Old McDonald." Thankfully, I was mad enough that even though it was cute, I didn't crack a smile. We got to my Jeep, I put him into his carseat and made him talk about why he was being punished.

All this to say, I am hoping when he gets off these medicines, he will return to the well-mannered child I remember.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Oh, stay strong in the the discipline department! Holly already hit the mouthy, disrespectful stage, but we are working on it. Saying what you mean and meaning what you say is key, which you obviously have down pat! Better than being the slacker parent who lets their kid run wild and say whatever they want! You guys rock as parents, so keep up the good work. :-)

Sewconsult said...

Good for you for following through. It's really hard sometimes.
Beckie (Andi's mom) who has been a fan of your blog for over a year.

Mellie said...

I still remember the first time we gave Ben Benadryl. I completely understood where the term "bouncing off the walls" came from as he literally bounced from one piece of furniture to the next. We didn't repeat that med again!