Custom Search

Friday, October 24, 2008

Chosen



Reed sported his Titans windsuit today in hopes of cheering on his favorite pro-team. Hopefully, Monday night they will continue their undefeated season against the Colts.



I have decided to move away from the "play-by-play" of the today's activities in my post tonight and want to talk about something that I have been thinking about.



As an adoptive parent, you often hear the question, "Why did his birth family give him up?" We answer the question, by correcting the thinking of the questioner to "His birth family CHOSE to let him be our son in order to give him the life they felt he deserved." Reed was not given up. He was chosen.



But, my line of thought has changed a bit in the past couple of days. I have thought about this before, but tonight, as I lay next to Reed while he was falling asleep, I couldn't help but think about who was really chosen in this situation.



It was us. While we wouldn't wish infertility or the pain of miscarriage on anyone, we know that for us, it was part of the process God was using to show us that He had chosen us for a very special blessing.



We were chosen to adopt. I can't describe how honored we are that God felt we were good enough to adopt. I remember thinking that I hoped that I would love our adopted child enough, etc. Now, I think, is it possible to love our son too much?



Reed is such an incredible little boy. A blessing to us that we had no idea would be so great.



So, we've been chosen several times. Mostly, God chose to give His Son for you and me to have eternal salvation if we choose to accept it. We were chosen to endure infertility and miscarriage that we might minister to others facing similar situations. We were chosen to be parents, a task which we prayed to receive, ironically though, we never dreamed we would be so blessed as to be chosen to become parents through adoption.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, This was an incredibly sweet blog. AND as your mom, Iknow what you mean. I could not believe that God chose me to be your mother. I was so very happy and elated when God chose me to be a mother-in-law to such a sweet girl like Abbey (I know I haven't been the best)and I am incredibly honored that God said, "You can be a grandmother to Reed." I love all of you and I thank God EVERY day for every remembrance of you!! Love, Enna

Heather said...

Hi, Jeff and Abby! Just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for being such great secret buddies to us.

We put the sunglasses on Elli for a trip out the other day, and they are absolutely hysterical on her. There's a picture on our blog if you have time to check it out.

Thanks,
Heather F.

Tish said...

completely agree! infertility is a gift with which to glorify God.

Spaghetti Head said...

grat post! thanks for sharing your heart.

Anonymous said...

Amazing post! You were definitely chosen by God! Reed is lucky to have you both as parents and you are so lucky to have Reed! Nothing to say, except it was COMPLETELY God! Love you all!

~ Lexi

Anonymous said...

Awesome and uplifting! (And I am my mother's daughter bc there are tear's in my eyes!)

Alaina said...

Beautiful post and thoughts! My husband told me recently how glad he was for our infertility and I agree. We LOVE our boys and can't believe they are ours!!!

Just Us said...

Jeff...you made me cry reading this. We agree with you 100%. Going through the pain of miscarriage, you don't really understand God's plan for you. And now looking back, we are so thankful we went through what we went through because God revealed himself to us by giving us Yu-Lin. He truly is the best gift God ever gave us. And like I've always said, he is not the lucky one for being adopted, we were the lucky ones that were chosen to parent this beautiful soul. I could not ask our Lord for anything more. Great post.

By the way, love the wind suit. Reed is always one stylin dude!