Custom Search

Thursday, August 21, 2008

2 Week Menu Plannning


One person asked, or commented, about our 2 week menu planning, so I'd thought I'd share our most current menu.

Please keep in mind several things:
1. Jeff and I are rather picky eaters.
2. My goal is not to spend more than $100-$130 for 2 weeks worth. This includes diapers. Jeff takes care of most toiletries, so that isn't included. The lowest I've accomplished so far is $75. I'm not sure about the highest amount.
3. This menu has already been altered a bit, but I'm going to provide my original plan.


Monday: BBQ Sandwiches, Grilled Corn, and Apples
Tuesday: Bisquick Chicken, Macaroni and Cheese, Peas
Wednesday: We have decided to eat Wednesday night meals at church. It's a cooked meal with vegetables. However, we were at the doctor's office this past Wednesday, so we ate Subway. We had a coupon, so it was $9 for all 3 of us to eat.

Thursday: Pork Loin (Smithfield, had a $1 off coupon), Leftover apples, Fried Okra
Friday: I work, so Jeff is on his own. He tries to eat at home, so he'll probably have a frozen pizza.



Saturday: Lunch-hot dogs; dinner will be at a Sunday School Get Together/Pizza
Sunday: Tacos, We usually eat dinner with friends. We might have breakfast.



Monday: Hawaiian Chicken, Potatoes, Green Beans
Tuesday: Ham, Corn, and Potato Casserole (I made this up, so we'll see how it goes.)



Wednesday: Church Dinner
Thursday: Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
Friday: Dinner Out


Saturday: I'll work
Sunday: Roast, Potatoes, and Carrots
Monday: Chicken Fried Rice



You see nothing is too fancy. My goal is just to have a plan. I try to buy 2 or 3 nicer pieces of meat, then fill in with others. For example, I try not to buy a bag of chicken the same trip I'm buying Roast, Pork Loin, etc. These 2 weeks are heavy on the chicken, so the next 2 weeks will probably have more variety. We had a pork loin that carried over from the last 2 week menu.


Also, I know our schedules can change quickly. Some times we go to a friend's house to eat dinner. Other times we go out to eat unexpectedly, so we'll adjust and eat home on the night we planned to eat out.




I work from a base list of menu ideas that Jeff gave me. I've learned I don't have to have 3 sides, or even 2, at times. I've found going to Wal-Mart twice a month cuts down on our costs, because I don't end up buying lots of extra things. There will still be a few smaller runs to Kroger, but not near what it used to be. Most of the time, it's for milk for Reed or an unexpected item that needs to be made last minute.


I also keep several quick breakfast items on hand, like cinnamon rolls, biscuits, etc. I purchase Reed fresh fruit and canned fruit and snacks. Reed and I eat sandwiches for lunch or leftovers from dinner.
Meal times are a lot less stressful now that we have this plan. It also allows us to not waste as much money on food items, because we'll eventually come back around to that item. Jeff and I would love to hear great ideas for dinners or ways to cut back on grocery bills. Our friends Lewis and Julie have mentioned the grocery game, but I haven't checked into that yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hawaiian chicken? My mommy and daddy love that meal. It's the best! Reed, do you guys want company that night? :) Your best friend Britton

Carol said...

Abbey, you might enjoy this site http://orgjunkie.com/ she does a Menu Plan Monday and post her menus for the week with recipes and other people post theirs as well.

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

i have been reading your blog for a long time - since before reed got on this side of the "big pond"! i can't remember how i found it, but now i come to your blog through my husband's cousin - nicki glenn.

we do the grocery game. i joined at the very beginning of may and have been doing it since then. i've got info about our savings and all on our blog - http://barnettefamily.blogspot.com - as well as a list of "money saving" websites/blogs that i have come across and visit often.

we have saved (at last count...) 61% since the first of may.

it's worth the $1/4 weeks trial period.

just thought i'd share my thoughts!