Custom Search

Monday, July 07, 2008

Baby Sister Update



Many of you have kindly asked what we were hearing about the adoption of our little girl. We have hit a few snags along the way.



Our agency, which we love and still love, has started accepting payment for the adoption in a different way. While I think that the different way is actually a lot safer, it is a little more difficult for us.



When Reedy was on the horizon, we were able to pay little by little, a thousand here, a few thousand there. Now, though, our agency requires that all of their money be paid at the time of referral. That's about $19,000. As you might imagine, we don't have that kind of money.



For the past few weeks, we have been praying and thinking about a way that we could come up with the money and finally settled on a home equity line-of-credit. The HELOC would allow us to pay as we needed to and also have the piece of mind that we would have the money necessary when we got our referral.



Most of you probably know that the housing market is currently very poor, so our appraisal on our home, while we do have equity in it, is not enough for us to get the loan we need. Therefore, we are currently at a stand-still.

The interesting thing is today in a prayer time that the Editors in Chief in my department get together for every Monday, a coworker Rhonda, shared Psalm 46:10. You may know this verse at "Be Still and know that I am God." However, the Holman Version, which we work from for our curriculum says: "Stop your fighting, and know that I am God."

So, for now, we are stopping our fight for a little baby girl and we're going to know that He is God. It won't be easy, nor will it be fun, but as I reminded Abbey tonight, I already have more than I could ever ask for or imagine. Please continue to pray for us as we seek God's guidance in the path of our family's life.

________________________

Okay, enough of that mushy stuff, here's my CVS haul for the day.



The flowers were some that I sent Abbey, because she wasn't having the best day when we got the news about our HELOC.

So today, I got all of the "other" stuff you see. Let me know if you need anything. Our CVS stash runneth over.

8 comments:

Tisra said...

Eric and I have been walking the Path of the Unknown for some time here as we journey to our daughter. Most of the time, we have been happy and upbeat recognizing that the Lord is in control and that His timing is perfect. We've recognized it as a spiritual journey as well as a physical one and have tried to maintain a spiritual perspective- one of refining, one of testing, one of patience, and waiting on the Lord. But, we're human and last week I hit a wall. We were told our wait would extend again and I broke down crying and hurting. BUT, the people of God in our life and those in the online adoption community came with words of encouragement and love! So, I want to spread the encouragement to you both. It's nothing new (and I'm sure in your heart of hearts you know these things), but a reminder was just what I needed so maybe you'll find it helpful. Look these verses up, and know that Jesus has you in mind to be the parents of a particular girl, not known to you, but known to Him!

Isaiah 55:7 and 8
Psalm 16:8,9,11
Psalm 73:26

Sarah and Dan Sullivan said...

I have no doubt that God will provide a path for you to bring a little sister into your loving home when the time is right. In the meantime, it is always so fun to read your blog! Reed is such a darling little boy! Sarah

Tish said...

my heart goes out to you...but i know that God's plan is greater than our own.

Carol said...

I am with you brother! Maybe we should through our combined brokeness together and have a Spam fundraiser. On second thought the market for Spam is probably a lot like the housing market right now. You and James are the only people I know who think Spam rocks!

Seriously, keep hanging in.

Anonymous said...

You are all in my prayers. It may be hard to see it through, but he always provides a way.

Jeremiah 29:11&12

~ Lexi

Anonymous said...

Well, Jeff and Abbey, as I read down through the comments all I could think of was Jeremiah 29:11 and I got to the end and Lexi had that verse on hers. Daddy and I await eagerly for little Ava and while I thought that REED would NEVER get here, God taught me a lot about patience in the wait. So much GODLY growth as my life centered around prayer for this precious baby. God is the provider and HE will honor all prayers. I just believe that with all of my heart. I cannot wait to see Reed when you all come to Mississippi. I am so ready to give that angel a hug! I'm all out for the Spam fundraiser, or any other kind of fundraiser like a pledge a month for baby AVA!!!! Love, ENNA

Maria said...

Ah... the financial worries of adoption. I want you to realize that God took us from believing we couldn't afford a $10,000 domestic adoption to affording a, well, a LOT more expensive international adoption. He has provided in ways we could have never imagined -- not when we wanted it, alas, but when it was needed. We've had lots of "great ideas" fall through and we would be at the point where we had NO CLUE what to do about it. So, here's you a small tip ... find a bank where you know someone. Explain about the tax credit ($11K now). See if you can get a signature loan (or even get a co-signor if you need to) where you only pay quarterly or annual interest and have payments only each year when taxes are due. I know this is possible (did it). Sell pizzas (Little Caesars). We sold over 250 kits (they literally sold themselves) and raised $1250. Let Abby have a "hostess" type party and instead of the hostess benefits, the will usually pay you in cash -- did that. Home Interior has a fundraiser (primarily candles, but hey!) and you make 50%. Cleared a little over $300 on that one. Yes, they are all small, but they add up in ways you can't imagine. Right there is almost $13,000 of it and not a lot of effort. I'd be glad to help with anything you decide to do if you want. A wise pastor once told us that God wants us to step out in faith and He will reveal the next step when it's time, and He has. We aren't finished yet, we have a little more to finish funding trip 2, but there's a yard sale in our near future. :-) Good luck, friends!

Kevin said...

Lots of good advice and guidance here. I hope you guys can figure things out. According to a later blog post, you are still in decade number 2... you've got time to make this happen.

You've also picked up too much Pert from CVS. How are you going to get through all that?

Kevin