Custom Search

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

To Throw or Not to Throw



One of the suggestions for blogging topics was that we should do some Parenting topics, so here goes.

You know that we have adopted the parenting method of not using books to tell us what to do. It's worked pretty well so far, but we're struggling a bit with one thing in particular.



Reed likes to throw things. We've experimented with not allowing him to throw anything including not being able to throw his beloved and many plastic balls. That really didn't work, because what good is a ball if you can't throw it? Then, we have tried spanking his hand.



To which he usually responds with the face above for approximately 5 seconds and then says, "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey ..." until you basically fall apart laughing.

I know that it must be entertaining to be able to throw things down the stairs, but I think that it could get a little dangerous considering he will throw anything he can get over the gate down the stairs. That includes boxes, pens, phones, stoppers, toys, ANYTHING!!!



Our main issue with him throwing though, is his CUP! Reed loves to throw his juice cup. That is JUST not acceptable.

Abbey told me that she has started just ignoring him when he does it because she thinks that he is doing it for the attention. Now, I have heard of kids acting out to get attention, but doesn't that usually apply to attention-deprived children. Forgive me if I am being arrogant in this statement, but Reed is ANYTHING but attention-deprived.



So, we just don't really know what to do? Any suggestions?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

No suggestions from me, I'm just loving it! I also love all the new looks he is giving. Plant a big kiss on those lovable cheeks for me, will you?
I miss him tons,
Lola

Tish said...

i think these are some of the cutest reed photos ever! ADORABLE!

wish i could help you w/ the throwing thing. M is good about not throwing the things i tell him not to. believe it or not, i explain why...and he actually seems to get it! however, we have a temper issue...where he swings his arms and hits everything in sight (including me)...so you could do a post about how to handle that!!!!

i can't let M see the photos of R with a pacifier...he's 4 months into addiction recovery and i'm worried about relapse (haha!)

Anonymous said...

If he throws it, take it away and do not give it back. Soon enough he will figure out if he is thirsty he won't want to throw his sippy cup anymore. Just let him learn that what he throws (other than a ball or an appropriate toy/item that is acceptable to throw) he will lose every time. Good luck!!! I love your blog and we adopted (domestically) with JOH too!

Julie Walker

Anonymous said...

Take away whatever he throws. Every time. Soon enough he will learn that he loses what he throws. (And if he is thirsty he for sure will not want to throw the sippy cup.) Be consistent and NEVER give in. Good luck!! Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

It must be a boy thing. We've already nicknamed Caleb "Launcher" because that's what he does. I agree with those who said to take away the things he throws. Try it, if it doesn't work you can always do something else!

RamblingMother said...

ignore him and not return the cup. If he asks for it then tell him not to throw it and he will test you but don't give it back until he is able to stop throwing . Oh and whatever you do don't laugh at him or with him it will only make it worse. Yes I know he is so cute but that is where he has you over the rock so to speak, heh.

Christine Satterfield said...

I don't have any suggestions since I don't have any kids! But, it's so interesting that you don't use books. I've always seen new parents with a bazillion books close by at all times. So funny. Love your blog! -C

Kevin, Kara, Kolton, & Kannon said...

I love checking your blog frequently because our sons are basically doing the same things at the same time!

Kolton also loves throwing his cup (and anything else for that matter) and also laughs when you spank his hand....aaaahhhh!!! Please post if you get any good suggestions!!!

I keep reminding myself that this (phase) too shall pass!

Kerry said...

Holly only threw things for a VERY short time because I always take whatever it is away immediately. Also, balls are outdoor toys only here. That helps a lot!

How brave to not use any books at all! I just like having multiple suggestions for how to deal with different things, then choose my own course of action.

Reed is as adorable as ever! He is definitely not lacking for love, smiles, and giggles.. :)

Sherry said...

A thrower. Thats bad! If Kobi throws he will get a time out. I take the toy or object away (but keep it so that he see's it) and sit him in a corner and set the timer for 2 minutes. He actually stays seated until it dings. Then I usually yell "Why Were You In Time Out!?" and don't let him leave my sight until he says. Trusts me he usually understands why. When he was Reed's age I put him in his highchair, turn it to face the wall and set the timer for 1 minute. Then the cup or food, whatever he threw I'd make him pick-up and throw it away. (Even if it was a sippy cup~of course I'd totally take it out of the trash when he wasn't looking and sanitize the crap out of it latter but he stopped throwing the things he'd love when he thought they were going bye-bye.

Now that this is the longest comment I've ever left anyone I'll stop rambling... Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh my. In the third picture, he looks like Joel Gosselin.