Custom Search

Monday, June 02, 2008

Reed's First Day of VBS!



Today was Reed's first day of VBS ever! I am thankful that I work at a Christian organization that allows me days off to do ministry in my local church. It is really great, because VBS is one of my favorite times of the year.

I woke up around 5:45 and couldn't go back to sleep. I got up and showered and then fixed breakfast. Then Abbey got up and ready. Finally, we realized that Reed was up and he was watching Lola get ready.

Reed came down after getting dressed and played with his new musical card that Lola brought him. It seems Lola really likes to get Reed noise makers on every visit.



After breakfast, we got ready to leave and get to the church. We were there by 8:00, which I think is really good considering we had three adults and a 15 month old up and out the door by 7:45.



Here's a picture of one of Abbey's room decorations for Outrigger Island. Tomorrow, some of my editor friends from work are coming to observe VBS. Abbey is teaching the 2nd graders. Lola is helping in Reed's class and I am teaching VBX with the best teaching team ever!



Mommy has a beach ball in her room, so Reed thought that was extremely cool!



You can't see Reed's sign very well, but it says, "Reed's First Day of VBS." We pray that Reed will have a rich heritage of church events in his life, but even more so that he would learn to love, believe, and trust Jesus as his Savior and Lord.

________

NOW, we need your help.





We are trying to increase the curb appeal of our house.

Do you think we should:

a.) Put more substantial columns on the porch to replace the toothpicks that are currently holding it up.

b.) Put black shutters up.

c.) Both a.) and b.)

d.) Neither a.) nor b.) but I have a great suggestion.

16 comments:

ava and brookie said...

I can't wait to see ya'll in a few days! I think you should put new columns up-I've said that from the beginning. I also think you should do shutters, but I'm not sure about what color would be best.

Elena said...

Won't black shutters look weird with the white siding?

I agree with replacing your spindly thangs with more substantial columns.

Get thee a shrubbery... or I'll say "Ni! Ni! Ni!" repeatedly while you're trying to edit. Which will drive Uncle Bubba nuts. (Waitaminit... *tents hands* That might be a fun experiment!!)

Seriously, though, I think your landscaping is a bit dwarfed by the size of the house. Perhaps some taller trees (evergreens) at the corners of the house??

Em said...

Both A and B would look fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

I vote for the columns-bigger ones would be a better balance for the house. Plus, Reed just gets cuter every day!!

Maggie said...

I would do both a and b. I agree with "elena." Some height would be nice. (warning, i'm about to go overboard, we're in the process of changing a good bit to our front and back yard, too, so here goes...)

If it were us, I'd rip out some of those shrubs, put in a ground cover instead of the bushes and four evenly space crepe myrtles or bay magnolias or something like that. I LOVE camelias, too. Since they're evergreen, they'd give some color all year. I'd also add some more noticable light fixtures next to the front door. I've recently gotten on a light fixture fetish.

Anonymous said...

Just about the only appropriate color for shutters is black and yes, to columns. Get thee a magnolia!
Yea, Reed! Going to VBS is sooo fun! I miss helping Abbey. She is the best Bible story teacher ever!

Jane said...

I agree with all other comments...shutters, bigger columns, and maybe some trees. Shutters would look nice, but I am not sure about black. What about red so they match the door? Or white so they match the siding? I am just having trouble picturing the black.

Is this what I have in store for me if I buy a house? Of course right now I have to find the right one that needs the least amount of work. I have seen some that need major work! :)

ava and brookie said...

I'm rethinking what you should do- I think you should get new columns and forget the shutters. I think it would look fine without it. But then again, this idea may change come this weekend when i see the house in person and think about it.

Kerry said...

I vote for both a and b. I love your landscaping, though. Although I have never actually seen your house in real life, so I am just going by the pictures!

Good luck getting it sold soon!!

Kerry

Living to Love said...

Yayy for Reed's first week of VBS!!! We'll be doing ours next week! I am the preschool director so it's gonna be lotsa fun for me...I'll get to see lots of Reed-sized little ones every evening next week!

On the house -- Before I even scrolled down to see what the options were, I looked at your (already very cute looking) house and said to myself...they need bigger columns! So, I am in on the columns. Did not even notice the lack of shutters but since you pointed that out..YES!! Shutters too! I am not a fan of like hunter green, red, you know all those kinds of colors so I agree with Michelle, Black is pretty much the only option on shutters! Oh and throw a weeping cherry tree in there for good measure! I love those things and any house that has one draws my eye!!

Thanks for asking...this is my kinda post!

Amy, Ryan, Aidan and Lauren said...

I vote for new columns and some more substantial plants. I second the camellias, I love them. Your house is lovely!

Anonymous said...

My vote goes to A. I think bigger columns would look great! I'm unsure about the shutters. I think your house looks good without them. By the way, the landscaping looks amazing! I wouln't change anything in the landscaping. Your house is gorgeous!

~ Lexi

Unknown said...

ok, my mom and i consulted and we're thinking that you should do (c).
Then i asked my dad and he said that he would like if the shutters were a french quater green with a door that same color!

Anonymous said...

Columns

Blanton & Jaime said...

I say "C"...but your house is beautiful!!! These additions would set it over the top and make your neighbors jealous.
BF

Anonymous said...

I miss having the entire sanctuary covered in packing peanuts... Our decorations are pretty cool though.

I say choice a and be, but instead of the black shutters, you should do red or white shutters.