Custom Search

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Unanswered Prayer and Overwhelmed

For those reading our blog for the first time, I'd like to give a quick recap so you'll understand where we're coming from. Then, we'll get back to all those beautiful pictures of our wonderful son. Jeff and I suffered a miscarriage in March 2005 after hoping for a baby for several months. After a few more months and some IUI's at a local fertility clinic, we again got pregnant and lost that baby as well, very early in the pregnancy. After that, we went to another fertility clinic, found out some answers to questions we had, and decided to pursue adoption without a doubt in our mind. All this to say, for quite a while, I (abbey) felt like God wasn't answering my prayers. I asked, begged, pleaded, cried, and prayed some more for a child that Jeff and I so strongly wanted and desired. I became quite frustrated with God for refusing to answer my prayers! It made me sad, mad, scared, frustrated, and more. None of it made sense to me.
All this to say, the minute I laid eyes on our precious little son, every tear, every cry, every heartache, every loss, every pain, every dollar, every procedure, every doctor's appointment, every frustration, every surgery, every concern, every minute spent waiting for Reed, every plane ride, every inconvenience, every question...all disappeared. God answered our prayers exactly how they needed to be answered. Now, we have a son.
For all those who have prayed for us, thank you. I have never, ever felt the power of prayer more than during this experience. I am overwhelmed by the comments, excitement, mentionings of us on other blogs, and for how blessed we are by all that we have been given and what we have learned. And now, back to our beautiful baby who has already gone to sleep for the night.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reed is one lucky baby to have such Godly and obedient parents and patient too! I definitely believe that beautiful baby was worth all the waiting and wondering. I miss you all so much and can not wait for you to come home. I love you!!

Maria said...

Reed now has the featured spot on our blog today. Had I seen the photo of the bath, I would have "stolen" it for the photo, but alas, work calls and I don't have time to update. I'm so glad to read that the culmination of the months/years of frustration has been the overwhelming blessing of Reed. "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers." ~ Garth Brooks, Unanswered Prayers.

Maggie said...

What a glorious day! I woke up last night around 3 and wondered what y'all were doing since it was day for y'all. Hugging on a sweet little boy, I figured :)
I agree with Emily, I bet your hearts are about to pop with love and excitment!!

Tisra said...

Thank you, God. What a tremendous declaration of the Lord's provision, perfectness, and love!

jen said...

Abbey, thank you for saying this. Our experience has been very similar, and if our trip to Taiwan is anything like yours, it is obvious it will all be worth it. Reed was just made for your family. He is precious and you are all beautiful together!

jen (JOH)

Em said...

God certainly knows what he's doing, and I know that Reed will be forever grateful that God chose y'all to be his parents. I must say though, if y'all make me cry ONE MORE TIME, I'm going to have to do something about it! Can't wait to see those sweet chunky cheeks in person!

Jillian said...

Reed is so lucky to have you both. Through all the pain God has brought you both joy that cannot be described by words. If we listen, we can hear Him in the quiet whisper of today. Keep the pics coming, you are keeping this pregnant lady in tears. Love you guys, Jillian