Custom Search

Thursday, September 13, 2007

To Taiwan from an Appreciative Father



Dear Taiwan,

Tears fill my eyes as I think back on my time here. You've been so good to us. From the moment we arrived on our flight with our Taiwan-based airline, I knew this would be a country to love.

You have taught your people a strong work ethic. It is evident in the way everyone does their job from the businessman to the garbage man.



Your children are beautiful and loving. They smile and practice saying "Hello!" to all of us who have not taken the time to learn your language.



Your people, while they do not follow my religious beliefs are more like me than most of my fellow Americans. They still believe life is sacred and to be loved.

Thank you for teaching your people about the sanctity of life.



It has been evident in every coo and smile from your people when we have walked by with our precious son. It is evident in the Taiwan Women and Children Association's employees, in the way Reed's foster mom cared and loved him, and evident in the display of love a birth family had for our son and for us. They want the best for him and I will gladly strive to provide it.



Thank you for the eye opening experience that not everyone has it as good as we do in America. Thank you for the pride that you reminded me to have in my independence by the long struggle you've had for yours. Thank you for your concern for welfare which allowed my baby to have prenatal care as well as not forcing his mom to desert him. Thank you for your fight.



Taiwan, my friend, thank you for my son. Thank you, thank you, thank you for him. You've provided God with a way to answer our prayers.



You've given us so much more than we could ever say thank you for. He is such a joy, such a loving and beautiful baby. He will be successful.



We will teach him what you have done for him. We will not let him forget where he came from. He will know your culture and he will care for you.



Taiwan, the picture above says it all, for we came without it. Before our picture was beautiful and represented who we were as a couple, happy, loving and appreciative. Now, we stand before you as a family. Mom, Dad, and son and you provided this for us. Thank you Taiwan. We love you.

Love,

Jeff Land

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jeff,
My make-up was on and I was ready for school. I go back once more with red eyes from the tears shed over this last Blog entry....and all of my co-workers wondering "What's Wrong"....and I will tell them....it's all alright. Long ago I prayed for just one more child and God gave me you and then another son....WOW. And then I started praying immediately for the one that God would bring to complete your life and he brought you a most wonderful wife....Abbey and an extended family who loves you..WOW! And then came sweet babies LAND number one and number two...and though we never got to see them..through them we learned of the love of God...and we see Mimi,Bemaw and Abbey's grandmother rocking them in Heaven waiting for the day when they will be reunited with their family... AND GOD was still everpresent and loving our family....because in all of HIS goodness HE has allowed this wonderful family in Taiwan to make a most sacrificial gift, knowing that their baby boy will be in good hands. BABY REED.. I am already soooo in love with that precious baby and I cannot wait until in the morning when I get to see him. We are driving straight to the airport from here tonight and we will campout at the gate waiting for our family to get off of the plane. I cannot wait to see all of you. I cannot wait to get my one kiss with such a precious baby. AND I cannot wait to see you and Abbey. Daddy and I love all of you sooo much. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
.... beautiful ... so inspirational ... I'm overwhelmed with emotion. Thank you so much for sharing these deeply personal thoughts. Love, Aunt Jean

jen said...

Beautiful post! Safe travels home!

jen (JOH)

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures in the grass! Hope you guys have a safe and uneventful trip back. I hope and pray that Reed does well on the plane.

Can't wait for our two little boys to meet! I'll call you guys this weekend.

RamblingMother said...

Beautiful tribute.

beverly

Tisra said...

So beautifully said!

Tisra
http://lifetrain.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Reed is absolutely precious!!!! I know ya'll are so excited to almost have him home with you!!! Clay & I are both very happy for ya'll and we can't wait to see pics as little Reed grows through the months!!! He is truly a blessing!!!

Carrie and Clay Nolen

Anonymous said...

Through your trip we have all learned the things you wrote about. What an experience you have had! I have to go now and tell my children how precious they are to me

Ann said...

First off wonderful pictures...but that letter, So sweetly put, so earnest in your love not only for your son, but for the country that he will always be a part of.

Prayers that you have a safe and easy flight..

Sherry said...

That was beautiful & now Im crying. GEE THANKS!

PS You couldnt have written the same emotions that I feel any better:)

William's Family said...

Lands,

Well-put. It certainly gives inspiration to those of us who are waiting to grow our families through Taiwanese adoption. Thanks for allowing us to "come along" on your journey.
Welcome to the States, Reed.

- Judy
www.wonderchildherewecome.blogspot.com

theglenns556 said...

Wow! I came across your blog tonight after seeing a link on a friend's blog. I started reading at January and have wept my way through. What an incredible testimony to God's faithfulness! After a four year struggle with infertility and a failed adoption, God blessed us with a son in July of 2006. We know that God placed the seed of adoption in our hearts for a reason and still plan to adopt. Your story is so beautiful! I've added you to my list of favorite blogs on our site. I hope to contiue to read about your journey with your little miracle and rejoice with you!