Custom Search

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Some Initial Thoughts

Last night, I was a little groggy when I posted, so I didn't tell my thoughts of the experience. Since I am now awake and don't plan on going to sleep again, here are some things I have thought about Taiwan.

It's amazing to me that this is true, but my mom always tells me that when we come home for a visit she doesn't care if we visit our friends, because "just knowing we're in the same state" brings her comfort. Well, it's true to an extent for me right now. We are as close to our son as we have ever been and that brings me comfort. We're ready to see him, but I know right now I am just a short car ride away from him. How amazing is that?

Secondly, even though we are in a foreign country, 8,797 airmiles away from our home, Taiwan seems to be very westernized. Right outside our hotel is the international language for happiness, Starbucks. There is also a 7-11 which I am very fond of because it is my birthday, as well as, my mom and my aunt.

Thirdly, I am amazed at how busy everything was last night when we got here. This is definitely a fast-paced city. I cannot imagine what it will be like during the day. Really neat, and kind of reminds me of our vacation to London. The difference is that in Taiwan, the people are smart because they drive on the right side of the road (Just kidding, I know we have some European readers.). The cars are all the same cars that you see in America too.

Fourthly, I am probably making my wife upset, because she was actually sleeping and I am over here hammering out this post.

Fifthly, we appreciate this country so much. It is the country that has allowed us to take our baby home. It is also a country that has learned our language even though we have never taken time to learn theirs.

Sixthly, and I must quit now. Thank you God for allowing us to get to this point. We love you and praise your blessed Name. Thank you for choosing us to be Reed's parents.

8 comments:

Em said...

I am LOVING all of the updates...keep 'em coming!! I'm so glad that y'all made it there safely. We were all reading the blog at Apple Annie's today!

Anonymous said...

Jeff and Abbey, I had no idea that we would be able to communicate with you through the blog during this trip. We are so very excited and everyone looks so full of excitement and anticipation. I did not think of this before you left but it would be soooo wonderful if you could just call us when you get Reed so we could hear it as it happens. Maybe Linda or Roy could hold the phone or even one of the people there. That would be sooo very awesome. I am glad that you will get to meet the birthmother. She will know that she has made the right decision when she meets you, Abbey, Linda and Roy. I wish that I had sent something for her also. We love all of you and are praying you safely home to begin your life together. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

I cannot tell you how much I am amazed with you two. Even when you are tired, jet-lagging, and ecstatic about your baby boy, you are still thinking about everything going on around you. The people, the places, you still notice things, and you don't simply think about yourself. That is very admirable.

Anonymous said...

I am very happy to know that you all made it there safe and sound. Thanks for the quick updates! Sheila and I checked the blog today while waiting for a turn to hold Raleigh. I can't wait to see pictures of you holding Reed. We're still praying for you here in Tennesse!

Anonymous said...

AMEN, Jeff. How awesome is our God! About 12 hours to go until we see the whole Land family on the blog.

Sherry said...

I told you I'd be checking your blog like 10 times a day. LOL! OK so its night time here in Maryland & Im guessing that right about now your touring around:)Take tons of pictures & have a bubble tea for me. Hehehe! (Im so SOOOO excited for you guys!)

Mommy Blogger said...

Thanks for posting such great stuff! It helps those of us not as far along the Taiwan adoption path to dream. Reed is one lucky little guy - can't wait to see the gotcha day photos - I will have the box of tissues handy here for sure!

Kevin said...

Thanks for the thoughts. I once found a spot (just outside of Taipei) where I could stand and see three 7-11s. It will be less "westernized" outside of Taipei... except for maybe the Buick dealership in Feng Yuan.

I hope your first day of exploring goes well. I agree with Jane who commented on the previous post - try and stay away from the McDonalds. Your challenge for the day - make sure you eat something on a stick.

Have lot's of fun.

Cheers,

Kevin

PS. I posted this over on Sally's blog and thought I'd share if you are still looking at your blog in Chinese: You can change the language you see your blog in on your Dashboard. It's the drop down menu at the top left on that page... Not the very top. It should say 中文(繁體)... let me know if that doesn't help.

PPS. Saw the comment from your mom. If you have your macbook (with the built in camera) and you and her both have Skype (www.skype.com), you can do a (free) video-conference online. My mom loved it....