Custom Search

Saturday, September 15, 2007

I'm Home

This is the story of how I came home. By Drake Reed Kai Land



I was born in another country about 9,000 miles away! It took me a long time to get home. 30 hours and 20 minutes to be exact, but I was a great traveller. Here I am in front of the plane that took me home to Nashville with my mommy and daddy. They look pretty good for no sleep huh?



"This is home," mommy told me as I lookd out the window when we landed.

"Home," I said, "Home."



I don't know if you know this, but my daddy is a pretty emotional guy. He got to carry me off the plane because I was going to meet my Enna and Poppy. That's my daddy's mommy and daddy.

It didn't take me long to realize where my daddy gets all of his emotions from. Some would say from Enna, but those who know would say from Enna and Poppy. Poor Daddy, he didn't have a chance!

Enna was so happy to see me. I love her. She smells good and she brought me presents.



It didn't take me long to see there was another great big smile on somone's face. It was my Auntie Ava. Mommy told me me she has been so excited to see me! She looks like a good shopper. I bet I will get some really cute clothes from her!



Poppy gave me kisses in the same place my daddy gives me kisses. Daddy has more hair than Poppy, but I bet it won't be long until I have more hair than daddy.



If this is what an aunt is, give me a 1,000. I really love this girl! I don't know if I am giong to be able to share her for a long time, even though mommy and daddy say that they can't wait long to get my sister because I will be spoiled.

Don't tell them, but apparently, they haven't been looking for the past week. I am spoiled already!



Poppy has big hands. They make me feel safe. I bet they made my daddy feel safe when he was my size.



I was beginning to wonder what was up with all of the elephants and giraffe's. I mean, I like them and all, but what's the deal?



This is my Nana Sprinkles. She's not really my grandmother, but she has taken really good care of my mommy and daddy since they moved to Nashville. She's been praying for me for a long time! I hope I get to spend the night at her house like Mommy does when Daddy is out of town for work.

I think she was happy to see me. She wasn't just crying because I had a stinky diaper. I let mommy and daddy change that later!



Mommy says she's the strong one, and I am no expert, but don't those look like tears?



A lot of people from Daddy's work and our church came to see us at the airport.

Miss Jessica, Mrs. Andrea, Mrs. Kay, Ms. Patty, and Mrs. Trudy all came from Daddy's work.

Mrs Vicki (our pastor's wife), Mr. Steve (whose been promising to come to the airport since he found out about me!), Mrs. Shannon (my children's minister and her family Mr. Kyle and Jacob), Mr. Jimmy (mommy and daddy's friend from Sunday School and small group), and Mrs. Lesia (mommy and daddy's Sunday School teacher's wife) were all there from my church. I can't wait to go to church! It's going to be so much fun!

They were all singing "How Great is Our God." Daddy says that is the song that reminded him of me. He says that God gave me to them as an answer to their prayers. Now, I'm good and all, but an answer to prayer? My mommy and daddy must really love me.



I kept seeing this man behind a camera and finally Daddy said, there's Putty Sprinkles. He was so happy to see me, but he didn't cry like Nana Sprinkles did.



Mrs. Trudy has been so excited to meet me. She asked daddy everyday when I was going to get to come home. I really thought she might learn mandarin and come and talk to my judge!



Here's a picture of Mommy, Daddy, me, Enna, and Poppy. We look like a happy family don't we?



So, this is that car seat I've been hearing all about? This is different from riding in a car in Taiwan. My daddy is a crazy driver, but I don't think I will ever think he's as crazy as a driver as they are in Taiwan. Plus, I feel so secure in my car seat. I love this thing!



I really can't believe all of the hype that I have caused. There was a sign in my front yard that said, "Welcome home Reed!" There were balloons and bows on my mailbox too.



Are you kidding me? I have a front door? Oh my goodness, it really is good to be an American!



The floor! I have been wanting to get on the floor for a long time, but my foster mother had granite floors. I like this carpet. Mommy and daddy said they got new carpet because I was coming home. I think it was because they wanted new carpet though.



This is my room! This is so cool. I love this place. I don't ever want to leave. Daddy says that I don't have too, but I bet when I am 18 he'll be ready for me to go to college!



My daddy is such a dork! I am sure that none of you will believe this, but my daddy actually made a FLAT version of me. Oh my goodness, what is my life going to be like?



I can't believe I have my very own ceiling fan! I love ceiling fans and now I have my very own! My stuff in my room is neat, but it can't compare to my ceiling fan!



All of my travels today have left me pretty tired, so I am going to take a nap!

Thanks for reading! Keep checking this blog, because I have to tell you all about my favorite thing about America (I'll give you a hint: Aunt Suzy and Cousins Molly, Karen, and Leslie gave it to me and it bounces!).

FROM DADDY:

Reed is such a smart kid to already have figured out the blog. Hopefully, he will keep blogging some, but I am going to make sure we keep you up to date.

Night number 1 in America was pretty great. Reed went to bed around 9:30 and woke up at 4:15 for his bottle and wet diaper. Aunt Ava said he spit his paci out a couple of times, but he hardly wimpered. We're thinking that's pretty good for a baby who was asleep during the time he is normally awake on his first try. Daddy was so ready to see him though! He jumped up as soon as he heard a good cry. Mommy started for the bottle. Wait a minute, how come I got the diaper and she got the bottle?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning! I'm so glad to hear that Reed had such a wonderful first night at home! I woke up hoping you had posted Jeff. I can't go in the Nashville airport anymore without getting a little choked up. I think you may begin to have the same problem.
Now, as I wipe tears from my face, I just want you all to know how happy I am for you!
The pic with Aunt Ava got me started! She was so excited the other day when we came to visit!
I think Mia is very fond of Reed's "bouncy thing" too. She played with it the other day!
Annslee was over briefly last night but not a good night to visit! Mia and I are anxious to meet that cute new little neighbor of ours!
Congratulations and Welcome Home again!
Jenny

Sarah said...

Oh, where's the tissues? I'm tearing up after reading about your sweet family and friends singing at the airport.

Anonymous said...

Now I have that song in my head! I love seeing your family greet the little guy they have prayed for sooo long! We would have loved to have been there, but we're taking care of "Crip" now so we'll schedule a visit with Reedo soon! I'm almost too excited!

Meredith said...

Hi Abbey- I am not sure if you remember me from MC- Meredith Edrington , well Agostinelli now. Anyway I am so happy for you all. I have been praying for you all since I heard your news of Reed. What a blessing.

MLM said...

You don't know me, but I've been snooping around on your blog for a while---after clicking the link on Jane's blog. I've kept up with your story through her and your blog, and I just had to comment tonight.

Reed's quite the blogger! His story made me cry. Big, happy tears. To see all those people waiting for him at the airport just made me mush.

I'm so happy for you and your wife and your whole family. You have been blessed with a beautiful boy and he will grow to be immensely grateful for the love and life you've given him. Praise the Lord!