Custom Search

Monday, September 10, 2007

And then we were three.

Here's some pictures finally! Brace yourselves, a lot of picture, and a little "ugly" cry.



First, we got Reed's information about feeding, sleeping, etc. He is a very happy baby according to the paperwork.



Because there were so many of us, we walked to the foster mother's house. It was only down an alley nearby the agency, but for us it felt like the green mile.



As we approached, I had already begun to feel my lip quivering. I warned Abbey that it was coming.



And there he was in all his glory! Our beautiful baby boy! He was sitting in his stroller. We had prepared ourselves not to get to hold him for the first few minutes, so imagine our surprise when ...



The foster mother took him from the stroller and directly into his MOTHER'S arms. It was amazing. Proceed with ugly cry from Daddy.



The only way to describe it is the culmination of many prayers. Reed was immediately our son and we were immediately his parents.



I just repeated over and over, "I love you, I love you!" As soon as I called him Reed, he turned his head to me. It was surreal.



Mommy told Daddy he needed to stop with the ugly cry because I was scaring our son!



I did and things were happy again.



Okay, maybe I was almost done.



This is one happy baby, everybody! He smiles and talks a bunch!



Lots and lots of kisses. Mommy is amazed by Reed's spiked hair!



A boy and his mother. Isn't it wonderful?



He took to us immediately. He was not scared at all. We know that God prepared his heart for this.



He also looks WHEREVER the camera is pointing to him. In this case there were 4 cameras and a video camera. He was looking all over the place!



Another happy picture.



Our walk back to the agency to meet the birth mother, we find out shortly after this picture that the birth grandparents are there as well.



F A M I L Y



The birthfamily experience was EMOTIONAL, gut-wrenching, completely worth it. But, man oh man, were we not prepared!



Reed's birthmother brought him this stuffed bear I am holding.



We listen to the family talk about their hopes and dreams for our son.



In a way, I am glad the contacts wouldn't go in this morning!



The birthfamily saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I have ever experienced. It was so great that we were able to meet them and get to tell Reed all about them. It was an experience that we wouldn't trade for the world. But one thing that we will be sure to tell them was that these people not only gave him life, THEY LOVE HIM. THEY really love him and they want the very, very best for him. God knew that when He put our family together, because like them, WE REALLY REALLY LOVE REED and we want the best for him.



in front of the wall. I signed it for our family. It looks like a 2 year old wrote on it. I am way too emotional!



In front of the agency!

Reed is wonderful. He takes lots of short naps. He goes straight to sleep by laying him on his back and rubbing his belly. He hasn't seemed to miss a beat. He's talking and laughing like crazy.

WE ARE SO BLESSED! Thank you God for this wonderful opportunity to be Reed's parents!

23 comments:

meow said...

what? no comments yet?
Oh yeah!It's only like 3am back home!
Congrats you 2!! Congrats you 3!!!
Reed is beautiful and it's lovely
to see you all together finally!!
It was nice to meet you guys,
and we wish you all the best with baby Reed.
Take care,
Sally Greg & Max-Min
& soon to be..Frankie Tru!

Anonymous said...

GOD IS SO GOOD, and y'all are so sweet to take us with you through this "journey to Reed". He is precious.

Congratulations, and God has already blessed you, but may He continue to bless through this journey WITH Reed. Words cannot express the joy you have ahead, so keep those tissues close by, Jeff, and remember there is no ugly cry when they're tears of joy from God's most precious gift.

P.S. Now could we PLEASE have some pictures of him with those blessed grandparents!

Anonymous said...

Jeff and Abbey, I am sitting here with tears flowing. I have checked the Blog so many times in the last hour. I have not been to sleep since you called at three. Sometime in the middle of me writing a grant and checking the blog you put these pictures in. What a perfect baby boy. God had him all READY for you two. Only God could make this transition so easy because he had already prepared Reed for you. God spoke to that little boy and he was ready for his mom and dad to come get him. I can only know how hard it was for Reed's Birthmom and Grandparents. As daddy went through our early lives as foster parents we saw the torment from the parents who truly were making sacrifices so that their children could have a better life. I am sure that it was also hard for the Foster mom to give up the precious baby that she had nurtured through so many of those beginning moments. You know at church we talk a lot about tithing, but the greatest gifts are the sacrificial giving, going over and beyond to the point that it hurts.... That is what God allowed these people to do for you and Abbey. Grandma Enna and Grandpa Tra are so eager for you to get home. What a happy, precious baby. He is everything that I thought he would be and he is exactly like my dreams of him have been. A happy baby with a very, happy mom and dad. Now to the mirror for my next session on how to cry without looking so scary. Jeff you get that from your mom!!! we love, love, love, all of you. Enna

Em said...

That's FABULOUS!!! He is more adorable in y'all's arms than in any picture I've seen so far...and they were hard to beat! I'm am so ecstatic for y'all...isn't being a parent the BEST blessing ever! It's way better than I could have ever imagined. I cannot wait to meet Mr. Smiley in person!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! He's perfect!

Maria said...

It's too early for the ugly cry at the Latham house, but here it is. Imagine how to explain to Josh when I get him up why I'm all red faced and teary! Who knew I'd cry as much as you!! God has blessed you beyond measure and I'm SO HAPPY for you!!

He's absolutely BEAUTIFUL -- love the smile. Poor Flat Reed -- he was NOTHING compared to "3D" Reed.

Maria

Sarah said...

I'm crying, and crying, and crying. So beautiful. I'm so happy for you. I'm praying for you, Reed's foster family, and his birthfamily.

shelley said...

It was as wonderful as I imagined. He looks so wonderful and "at home" with his parents. We serve an awesome God. Congrats!!!

The Mr. & Mrs. said...

God is so good! we are so excited for you all! Reed is such a sweet heart and we are so thankful that God has blessed your family with him!

Love,
The Claytor's

Mommy Blogger said...

Oh man, now I am ugly crying in my living room here in Kansas!Congrats - he is simply beautiful!

LaLa said...

Tears streaming down my face...so happy for you guys. The birthmother thing got me..what an opportunity. I would love to have that for Annslee but of course won't. He looks so happy and we hope to meet him when you get home : )

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for you guys. What a blessing. Look forward to meeting Reed when you guys get home and introducing him to his girlfriend.
Holly just sits and cries while reading about this.
Hope you have a safe flight home.

Tisra said...

I don't think it was too "ugly" of a cry. In fact, what more appropriate time for an all-out cry than this exists?! Gorgeous pictures! A miracle has taken place here. I will pray that the Lord unites your hearts in a way that can only be described as an act of God. I pray for rest for the new parents. And I pray that you are able to savor each and every precious moment with your new son! Congratulations!!!!

Tisra
adopting from Taiwan, waiting for referral of our fourth child, FFC
http://lifetrain.blogspot.com

I-Chwen said...

I read your post with joy and tears....and with Megan intently staring at the screen by my side. She was commenting on something but I don’t quite understand...
I think she said Reed is very handsome! Yes, he is SOOO precious!!!! We can’t get enough of him!

Thanks for sharing your journey so we can live though ours again! What a beautiful and happy family!

Ginger said...

Congratulations to all of you -- you all look so happy!!

Anonymous said...

I screamed when I saw this, then I cried!!!!! I am so happy for you, and I praise God that He has prepared Reed's heart for this. I amoverjoyed for him to get such wonderful parents. I absolutely LOVE the picture in which Reed and Abbey have their heads pressed together and they are looking at each other. GOD IS SO WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!! He is so precious! I'm not kidding, I think he is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen. He is a little chunk of love!!!!!!!!! I had better get to babysit when you two go on a date!!!!!!!!! I hope you three are very happy together!!!!!

P.S. I think the ugly cry is TOTALLY warented. I'm suprised I didn't see many tears from Abbey!

Ann said...

Oh my, tears are flowing. What a wonderful description of your first moments with Reed. He's such a smiley baby, that's awesome. Oh and Reed is much much cuter then flat Reed(but don't tell flat Reed I said that!!)

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with "the ugly cry!" I have no words to describe how beautiful these pictures are and how adorable Reed is, especially there in your arms. I can't wait to meet him in person!

Amy, Ryan, Aidan and Lauren said...

So wonderful! I am so thrilled that you are at last united as a family. He is precious and you were so fortunate to be able to meet his birth family. What wonderful stories you will have to tell him in the future!

Emma said...

YOU HAVE A BABY! YOU'RE A FAMILY! Congratulations! What a thrill it has been to witness your journey, and to be able to share (in a virtual-cyber-kind-of-sense) this momentous occasion. I'm so excited for you!

Emma in Australia

Anonymous said...

Jeff & Abbey

Congratulations that you finally have Reed in your arms...you had me balling like a baby : ). The Real Reed is way better looking than flat reed. Congratulations and what a beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

Jeff & Abbey

Congratulations that you finally have Reed in your arms...you had me balling like a baby : ). The Real Reed is way better looking than flat reed. Congratulations and what a beautiful family.

R&H said...

What an amazing story, Congratulations on your new baby boy, he's beautiful!
Heather
tovietnam.blogspot.com