Custom Search

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

When Sleep Doesn't Come...For Reed

Dear Reed,
Sometimes at night, I can't sleep. And when that happens, I think of you. The other night, I thought of something. When it came to mind, it made me catch my breath. Literally. I thought about the first time I will hold you. My reaction surprised me as much as the emotion I felt. And, it started a new thought in my mind. Often people think children who are adopted and their parents miss a lot of "firsts." Oh, how wrong they are...
I can't wait for
The first time I see you, not in a picture, on a video, or via computer.
The first time you cry, and I'm there to comfort you.
The first time you smile, and I'm there to see it.
The first time you laugh, and I'm there to hear it.
The first time you need your diaper changed, and I'm there to change it.
The first time you wake up, and I'm there to greet you.
The first time you're hungry, and I'm there to feed you.
The first time you experience something new, and I'm there to experience it with you.
The first time you see your Daddy, and he sees you.
The first time you take a picture, and I'm in it, too.
The first time you see your extended family, and I see you see them.
The first time someone doesn't have to ask if I have children, you're there as the answer.
The first time you get to experience Target, and I'm there with you.
The first time someone asks when I'm coming to get you, and I have an answer...
So many firsts, I'm ready to experience.
I love you, Reed,
Your Mom

10 comments:

JEff said...

I'm ready to experience those firsts, too, babe. I'm guessing I snored last night!?!?!

Maggie said...

Love the Target one. Y'all are still in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Lola here. Can't figure how to post lately. It ends up in blog world somewhere. I CANNOT WAIT MUCH LONGER. I am about ready to camp out at the doorstep of that judge until he lets you have our Reed!! And nothing in this world can take the place of me being there to witness that first meeting in person, and all 3 of you together at last. I will be the third to hold him, I do know that! I wish he could understand how much we want to come get him.

The Manning Family said...

How sweet! I think about y'all daily and hope that Reed gets to come home SOON!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Abbey and Jeff, this actually came up at school and usually it is blocked. So Abbey, I sit here in my classroom, with tears flowing having read such a beautiful letter to Reed and feeling so many precious memories of the times that I expressed those various things for my three boys. I may not be the third person to hold Reed or even the fourth, but I will take such wonderful pleasure in seeing him in the arms of his mom and dad. We love all three of you. Grandma Enna and Poppy

The Winkleplecks said...

Continuing to pray that Reed will get here soon!! Ya'll are going to be the best parents!

Anonymous said...

Abbey,
As I wait for our "Abbi" from China--21 months and counting--believe me, I understand the desire of your heart! As for what some people say about adopted babies, they just can't understand because God hasn't given them a heart for it. Because I know, there is NO way that I could love Abbi more if she had grown in my tummy--and I haven't even seen her face yet! I am so thankful--as I know you and Jeff are--that we have a family that feels the same way, Abbi is ours--plain and simple, even if she was "made in China"--Hee. Hee.
Blessings! I pray for you often--that you will get to hold your baby soon!
Deana Pittman
Batesville, MS
P.S. Maybe one day we will get to take our babies to Mexico on the mission field! What a thought!

Sherry said...

Jeff must have been snoring? LOL! I cant wait til you experience all those things & hopefully it will be very soon:)

Anonymous said...

Abbey, my tears flowing down at my house but prayers are going up!! WE LOVE YA'LL!!!!!

Maria said...

I was reading along, feeling all serious and emotional with you and then hit the Target roadblock and laughed out loud. :-) We pray for you EVERY day. I know it's so hard right now. I wish I could explain the 'whys' of the wait you are having, but I can't. I'm TOLD it will all go away as soon as you hold him and you will forget the wait. I can't imagine how that's true, but I'm going to let you tell me!