Custom Search

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Have You Ever Noticed?

As more and more people (besides Jeff and I) get travel dates, it's been pretty rough around here. And, it got me thinking. Have you ever noticed how much we're willing to sing God's praises when everything is great? People can't say enough about God and his goodness when things are going their way. Yet, when things seem to be different than we've planned, or wanted it to be, we aren't so quick to reference God. However, when I look back over my life, it's not at the top of the mountain when I find myself learning the most from God. Most of my lessons are on the way up the mountain or down in the valley below...I think I'm in a valley now...

Sometimes, people think those who have hope in the Lord always have things go their way or exactly like they want it to be. It isn't always true, but I do know how God can work in our lives and give me the patience to endure this trial.

"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Isaiah 40:31
"But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."

This blog Adoption and Fire post was really inspirational for me. Take a look at it if you haven't read it arleady: http://adoptionandfire.typepad.com/the_firehouse_journal/2007/07/text-messages-f.html

Your little family of three is in my prayers as you wait, and wait... for news.

Jane said...

Wise words my friend! Have you heard one of the newer Mercy Me songs called "Bring The Rain"? I must confess that the first time I heard it, I wasn't a fan. It talks about how we can't allow our circumstances affect the way that we see God or our relationship with Him. The chorus is what I struggled with the most:

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I wasn't sure I could honestly say that. The more I have thought about it, the more I was reminded that it is not about me...it is always about God. Why do things happen? I don't know, but I do know that sometimes He uses the most unexpected things to remind us to praise Him and give Him the glory.

Praying you through this rough time until you get to hold that precious boy in your arms!

Beth said...

WOW guys!!!! God works in mysterious and AWESOME ways. It seems that when you are having a bad day so am I and God is always telling you exactly what I need to hear. We're still praying for you!!! I can't wait to meet that little man!!!

Anonymous said...

". . . and IN all things give thanks." That's what you just did, Abbey, so I'm sure you'll be blessed by God for your obedience. It's hard to give thanks FOR all things, but in the midst of them, God wants to hear our praises.

Thanks for this reminder and for your wonderful testimony to all of us who are being tested today.

Oh, and Jane, I love, love, love that Mercy Me song. It just reminds us of what our lives are to be--glorifying to God!

Anonymous said...

Very insightful! I heard someone say this one time: "The devil only tries to stop those who are steadfast in God. He doesn't want someone who he has already claimed." Be happy you are going through trials! That means your relationship with God is strong.