Custom Search

Friday, May 18, 2007

Flat Reed: Waiting for August



It seems that I find myself waiting for August pretty often. The first August I remember waiting for was in 10th Grade. It was around this week in 1996 that I was waiting to go to the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science. I had dreams that it would be a life changing experience and a great time. It turns out, it was. It was my first exposure to the "secular" world outside of the smalltown bubble that I grew up in.



A couple of years later, during this same week in May of 1998, I once again found myself waiting for August. I was ready to start my freshman year of college at Mississippi College. I had grand dreams of medical school or maybe dental school. It didn't take me long to realize that God was calling me into ministry and I changed my major to Social Work.



Around this time in May of 2001, I once again found myself waiting for August. I had just graduated from College and I was excitedly awaiting my marriage to the love of my life. I had tons of ideas about how our marriage would be, many of them did not turn out the way I had envisioned. It turns out that it is much better than I could have ever imagined.



A couple of years later, in May of 2003 I was once again waiting for August. Abbey and I were moving to Texas so that we could begin our graduate studies. Abbey at Dallas Baptist University and I was enrolled at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. We were both quite excited about getting started.



Now, here we are again, near the end of May and we find ourselves once again waiting for August. Based on the timelines that most of the people who have adopted in program have had, August will probably be when we travel to go and get our baby boy. If we travel earlier, Praise the Lord, if we travel later, we have to trust His timing. Regardless, we know that in August we are going to be much closer to having our beautiful baby boy in our arms.



In case you were wondering about what all the pictures of the pendant were above. That is Reed's birthmom's gift. It is tradition to take a piece of jewelry to give her. The earrings above are Abbey's that I gave her for our Anniversary the past year. We went back to the same jeweler and asked him to make a pendant to match Abbey's earrings. We asked to have Reed's birthstone put in the middle. It also had to be yellow gold. It turned out very pretty. It also has a lot of meaning as we can show Reed Abbey's earrings and how his birthmom in Taiwan has the only piece like this that exists.

The last picture is from last night. Our friend's the Wrights, Spicklers, and Jennifer Cobb came over for burgers. They loved getting to look at our precious little baby, even if it was just on the computer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a wonderful idea...having a unique piece of jewelry made, fashioned after a piece that has such meaning and significance to Reeds forever mommy for his birth mother...giving her a tangible connection to Reed's new life.

I often wonder about our daughters' birth mothers. Rayna (my five year old) wants to "go to China and meet" her birth mom and it has been hard for her to understand that there is no way we would ever be able to track her birth mother down (as in China, birthmothers cannot openly relinquish their babies, but must abandoned them in secret if they cannot raise them). KNOWING who is your child's birthmother is a precious piece of their heritage. It touches my heart that you have put so much thought and care into the gift you have prepared for Reed's birth mother.

Your lives will always be connected to hers through your precious son. It is so fitting that she have the only matching piece of jewelry to Abbey's...and that it is graced with little Reed's birthstone. You, two, found a way to put your very heart into this gift to honor Reed's first mom.

Mommy Spice said...

Wow, that's beautiful. We will never know our Spicy Girl's birth mother, or where she is even from. That's probably going to be a difficult issue one day.

BTW, my husband is attending DBU right now. We must be in the same neck of the woods.

Jinglebritches said...

I'll be praying for August for you too. You guys make me giggle!! I LOVE flat Reed. I agree with you on American Idol!!! What were they thinking??? Thanks for the comment on my site.